Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursdays with Etsy: Jenny Topolski

For my first installment of Design Bite's Thursdays with Etsy, I'm introducing artist Jenny Topolski. I first came across her work a couple weekends back, as I wandered through the 50+ local Esty members' stalls that made up the Holiday Handmade Cavalcade, a (now) annual craft fair held downtown, in Nolita.


Topolski's Cephalopod Sconce was one of the few designs on offer that was truly unique. Although it looked totally sculptural at first, it's one of those objects that's (thankfully!) been quality-tested and inspected.






It hangs quite perfectly and holds a regular-sized taper--there's no need to shave it down to cram it in. This piece of gorgeousness is expertly fired, sculpted, and glazed by hand, and in addition to being like nothing like I've ever seen, its marine-chicness (and $78 price tag) is very now.
In Thursdays with Etsy, I'll be showcasing unique work like Topolski's, and selecting my favorite picks. Think of it as Design Bite's distilled version of Etsy's standouts. A.

1 comment:

If you see something, say something...